Idea set up
Cycle Nepal is a website and a co-operation between different disciplines to promote cycling and to offer cycling tours. In december 2018 there will be the first trip as a test. A test of co-operation, a test of how much we really want to do it. The first test consists of an 18-day trip cycling around the Annapurna with mountainbikes.
It will be a trip around the Annapurna in which we aim for the Dutch market. A Dutch tour operator will offer the trip in co-operation with Cycling for Stars and in Nepal the trip will be performed by Pushgar, Terai Tours, Utmost Adventure Trek and Cycling for Stars.
If the first trip is a succes we will offer different tours on this website in co-operation with the Dutch tour operator. To give you some ideas:
- Annapurna circle (ones a year)
- Upper Mustang (ones a year)
- Cycling Kathmandu (every saturday, the hidden gem of Kathmandu)
- Bike ‘n Buddha (cycling and a retreat)
- Daytours in Kathmandu (with Pushgar or a visit at his house to hear about his story and see his ‘museum’)
- Nagarkot, Bhaktapur & Patan
- Special surprise tour by Pushgar
One of the goals is to establish Nepal as a cycling destination. The world known destination for MTB within 5 years. And to make Kathmandu known for its special cycling tours that has the same status as the world known city cycling tour through Bangkok. Aside from that the message will be towards Nepali government and people that cycling is cool and healthy. We could emphasize that by a yearly ‘no-mask-day’ or events / actions (guerilla marketing).
We could collectively incorporate the idea of building a cycling destination where we aim to infom children through presentations about cycling, health benefits, cost benefits, etc. In addition, long term, we could try to use a part of the income to buy bikes for children.
In the first year we will communicate the first trip in our own network. That we will offer a special in terest tour around the Annapurna. With special guides (world cyclist Mark and super world cyclist for peace Pushgar) and a special trip. In this trip we could aim for about 10 people. We do not aim for profit, just the expenses that need to be covered.
After this pilot we will build a website called www.cyclenepal.com. Content on this website will also be used for Nepaltrekking.nl. This website will in addition communicate the offer of products from the Dutch tour operator, Terai Tours and Utmost Adventure.
The fact we don’t have bikes might be a good opportunity. I want to aim for 10 to 15 mountainbikes. There are different ways to get them.
- Buying them
- Through sponsoring
- The first group pays enough money for the ‘super special trip’ so there is room to buy bicycles
- Where to stash the bikes?
In this stage I think we shouldn’t consider buying them. Return on investment is still too insecure. Regarding sponsoring each one of us should check their network if there are parties who want to be involved for their marketing purposes. For example we could ask company X for 15 MTB’s and offer them a trip for a small group (e.g 2) cycling around the Annapurna or go with us on the Mustang trip. Obviously there are means to also promote the company through footage and content building. We could consider inviting influencial bloggers. This way we pay back through our services and expertise instead of money. This example also goes for the first group. They pay a big amount so we can invest in bicycles and in return they can come with us on the trip around Annapurna.
I have met with an agency, bike shop, called PanC. They offer a pretty good deal on daily rent for MTB’s. Especially for the first trip we could have this as a good option. Aside from that they are also involved in promoting cycling for Nepal.
The plan is that the tours in KTM will be fully performed by the local Nepali. Only the international oriented trips (Annapurna and Mustang) will have the Dutch influence. This means that the profit of the KTM trips goes fully to the Nepali. The international will have pricing, profit and cost based on the Dutch market, expenses and will be divided. This also creates independence and freedom on the Nepali side.
Utmost & Terai
- Logistics, car support
- Local guide
- Using your network
- Website updates ones established
- Online marketing, consider an intern from the NHTV
- Performing future KTM valley trips
- Use the bicycles for trips sold through your own agency (delivering them back in perfect state)
- Guiding trips in KTM valley
- Giving visits and short presentations
- Using his network
- Letting Warmshower visitors be involved (social media, coming along, giving workshops fixing bikes)
- Build his own trips ‘the Pushgar surprise trip’
- Daily fees, performing Pushgars trip every friday
Cycling for Stars
- Creative development
- Communication and new selling channels
- New products
- Guiding the special trips, especially in the first phase
- Guiding Annapurna and Mustang
Dutch Tour Operator
- Selling the tours in the Netherlands
First year no or hardly any financial investment. We can all use our own network and see if we can sell the first trip. All costs made to perform the trip will be paid by the first group. In year 2 we’ll have the cost of web development. Cycling for Stars will build the two websites and add all content from the 3 tourist agencies (Dutch and Nepali) on the Nepalcycling.com website and on Nepaltrekking.nl. This way we can reach the Dutch target group searching for trekkings. And, in addition, we will put their offer in their regardless of cycling. This way it strengthens them in their current offer.
- All 3 agencies will contribute an amount for building the websites. An initial amount and a yearly contribution.
- Pushgar has his daily fee for the tours he is involved in. One tour goes fully to him, the one he performs
- Dutch TO has its own price to sell the trips (coinciding with the price of C4S)
- Utmost and Terai perform the tours and have their own prices.
- A percentage of the city tour will go into the C4S foundation which will be used for cycling Nepal