in 9 months and 10 bullets...
• Me (world cyclist) and my bicycle (Kona Sutra) have been stuck in Santiago de Chile since March.
• That’s 9 months now out of which 5 months were a serious lockdown (meaning a 2 times a week permission to go out for groceries).
• Admitted: It’s not always easy. I had the virus, got sick. Lasted for about 10 days. Worse, because of the riots, there has been tear gas, (still almost daily) with chemical and toxic compounds detrimental to health. Especially on the long term. Sometimes I get an immediate headache just by going outside. I am staying in the centre where all “the action” happens, and that doesn’t really help to keep the air as fresh as it was cycling Patagonia. Aside from that there’s shooting, and other violence and the virus has kept many people sleeping in the parc or on the ground close to where I’m staying. One night I got out for a walk, saw two guys get stabbed, one got killed, then I returned and was asked by a man who lives on the street in his wheelchair to buy him food and if I would be so kind to throw away his two small buckets of daily warmly brewed vomit because he’s dealing with a stomach issue. I couldn’t refuse his misery. Just another monday night in Santiago de Chile.
• Why not go home? I promised I would go all the way also when things get nasty. Second I also promised that to the indian tribe (Arhuacos) the social project I’m now cycling for.
• For the record: I am NOT complaining. I am just stating facts and perception. Fortunate I am. The adventure is rich in perspective. And besides that, just before the virus, I met a girl who took me from my optional tent into her house. Suposedly only for a couple of days to help me out. Days became weeks and weeks became months and I got to know one of the most beautiful people I have met in my life.
• Despite all craziness going on, time has flown by and I have used these months to optimize myself and to prepare for a shamanic journey from Buenos Aires to Canada.
• I skip media that doesn’t serve me, I focuss on what’s in my control. I try to reinvent. I have no other choice since I launched a book just before the virus got its grip on the world. It’s called: Reinvent Yourself ~ a never ending cycle. The book tells stories from myself but mainly from other people and other cyclists who I met in 3 + years of cycling the world.
• I sold some copies here and there – especially to the people who know me. It enabled me to buy food and my daily coffee here at the local market. But honestly, I am not the best salesman. In fact, this is my best shot.
• Hence a big news alert: I will print new copies next week, I’m out of hard copies and She is Around – who wrote her adventure in the book as well – needs 10! To cycle on this wave I’ve made a special offer and you can pay whatever you want to pay for the digital version.
YOU CHOOSE WAT YOU PAY
I have made a PDF available for an amount at your choice. Below some examples of the book and the stories. It has some 25 stories and 120 pictures from all over the world! If you know anyone who might be interested – spread the love.
If you want the hard copy, drop me a line.
PROCEDURE: You hit the link → they ask you how much you want to pay (In Dutch but it makes sense) → you get the secured payment option via Ideal, credit card or paypal → pay your amount → you are redirected to receive a temporary downloadlink.